The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:38 pm 

Realistically getting plastic decks to look like wood has been a challenge for ship modelers for as long as companies have been making model ships. Well, unless you are Kostas, then it's no problem. But, for the rest of us mere mortals, it's always been something of a work in progress, copying others ideas and incorporating them into your own. From washes to extreme masking, there have been many attempted solutions. Not only was painting a chore, but many manufacturers (hello, Tamiya) broke the decks into multiple pieces, with the seams in the worst possible location, making it hard to eliminate the seam without destroying the raised planking lines on the deck.

If you couldn't manage to successfully blend your seams without destroying the deck, the other option to finishing your deck, other than painting, was to cut sheets of wood or small individual scale planks and try and fit those to your decks, like I've been doing to my Tamiya Bismarck. This, while visually interesting, is tedious and time consuming. And, unless you are incredibly anal retentive, not entirely accurate.

With the last decade (give or take), companies began to release real wood decks - very thin pieces of wood with planking lines etched into the wood. Many of the first to be release were carrier decks. Soon afterwards, custom cut decks for other capital ships began to appear on the market, until now almost every ship that is released comes with an aftermarket wood deck.

For the most part, I had little interest in wood decks until I had tackled the aforementioned Bismarck project. But, after seeing other modelers use them with great success on some of their builds, I was intrigued. I also was never going to go the individual plank route ever again.

So, when Scaledecks.com released their deck for the Trumpeter Z-25, I figured this was a good time to try out a wood deck. The deck was small (only two pieces) and relatively inexpensive (only $15.00 list) - seemed like a good starting point. Additionally, Scaledecks gives you choices of finish: Maple, Teak, Photographic Paper, or their newest product, Tinted Wood.

I placed my order through the Scaledecks.com website, settling on Maple. Not to long afterwards, a stiff cardboard envelope from California arrived. When I opened it up, not only was my order inside, but John - the owner of Scaledecks.com - had also included a teak deck and photographic paper deck for Z-25, but a tinted wood deck for the 1/350 Zvezda Borodino! John also included a nice note thanking me for my order, and explaining that he enclosed the additional decks as samples, since he'd like my opinion on the different types of decks they offered. Well, then, without further ado, here is a short review of the Z-25 decks (broken out into multiple posts).

The decks arrive in a plastic wrapped sleeve with a thin heavy paper insert. The deck is on one side, the instructions on the other.
Attachment:
File comment: Teak, Maple, Photographic Paper in their packaging
ScaleDecks_Z25_001.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_001.JPG [ 268.08 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]

The next few photos show each type of deck - a photo of the name and then a photo of the deck itself.
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_002.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_002.JPG [ 260.92 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_003.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_003.JPG [ 288.23 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_004.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_004.JPG [ 169.82 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_005.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_005.JPG [ 247.61 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_006.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_006.JPG [ 276.35 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_007.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_007.JPG [ 260.67 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]

The teak deck out of the package
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_008.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_008.JPG [ 350.55 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]

It's super thin!
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_009.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_009.JPG [ 245.53 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]

The instructions are a simple one page affair - nothing more is required.
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_010.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_010.JPG [ 290.33 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_011.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_011.JPG [ 370.84 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]

One thing I notice when I opened the first package is how thin the heavy paper insert is. My suggestion would be to use a piece of cardboard instead, as the decks are extremely thin and could accidentally break if you aren't careful removing them from the packaging.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 pm 

Here are some photos of the decking out of the packaging, and then test fitted onto the corresponding parts in the Z-25 kit.

The decks out of the packaging:
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_012.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_012.JPG [ 300.99 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_013.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_013.JPG [ 228.95 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_014.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_014.JPG [ 298.18 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_015.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_015.JPG [ 369.38 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_016.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_016.JPG [ 298.52 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]

Now the kit parts with (and without) the various types of decks in place:
Attachment:
File comment: The bridge deck of the Z-25, sans decking
ScaleDecks_Z25_021.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_021.JPG [ 258.53 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The deck removes fairly easily with a sharp X-acto blade, and is ready to be test fitted onto the kit part
ScaleDecks_Z25_017.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_017.JPG [ 337.4 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Teak wood in place
ScaleDecks_Z25_018.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_018.JPG [ 290.86 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Maple deck in place
ScaleDecks_Z25_022.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_022.JPG [ 262.51 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Photographic Paper in place
ScaleDecks_Z25_025.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_025.JPG [ 253.67 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]

The smaller deck - kit part without the decking in place:
Attachment:
ScaleDecks_Z25_019.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_019.JPG [ 164.61 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: Teak
ScaleDecks_Z25_020.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_020.JPG [ 177.48 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
File comment: Maple
ScaleDecks_Z25_024.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_024.JPG [ 295.2 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]
File comment: Photographic Paper
ScaleDecks_Z25_028.JPG
ScaleDecks_Z25_028.JPG [ 283.31 KiB | Viewed 8570 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:07 pm 

So - what did I think?

On the plus side: The decks are unbelievably thin. They require a minimum of clean up - just cut them off the "sprue" and remove any nubs. All three seemed to fit easily onto the decking with the splinter shields (the large part). Scaledeck.com's pricing seems competitive with other vendors.

On the other side (can't say on the negative side because I haven't tried to put them on) - they are not self adhesive, which I've seen touted by other manufacturers. Again, since I haven't built the Z-25 and tried to put them on, I don't know if this will be a negative or just part of the build process, like adding any other part.

Of the three types of decking I got, I liked teak the LEAST. Yes, it may be the correct wood, but a) most navies kept their teak decks holystoned and cleaner than natural teak, so my personal feeling is it's too dark, and b) I thought it was way too grainy - if you look at the photos you can easily pick up the grain. This, to me, is the biggest issue with these types of decks.

I liked the Maple deck the BEST. It isn't nearly as grainy as the teak, and I like the color (again, personal preference) much better. Plus, it's real wood.

I also liked the Photographic Paper a lot - it was a close second to Maple. Scaledecks has incorporated different shades of planking into this product, so it appears to be more like a real wood deck, with variations in the tones of the planks. I also thought the joints between the planks was more pronounced than on either of the wood decks, which I liked. However, it is very light and it does seem obvious that it's NOT wood - which is it's only drawback to me.

Final verdict - I think I will go with the maple deck, my first choice when I placed my order. If the next Trumpeter German DD to be released (Z-43?) has the same bridge layout and will allow me to use the same product, I'll use the Photographic Paper. After seeing these decks, I did order a KA wood deck for the 1/350 HMS Repulse by Trumpeter, to see first hand what another manufacturers product looked like. That is supposed to come with self-adhesion on the back, so I'm interested to compare the products.

Regardless, I'm impressed with what Scaledecks has to offer. I like the thinness of the product and how it drop fits into the Trumpeter part. To me, it's a finely produced product at a reasonable price. What more could a modeler ask for? Once Scaledecks releases the deck for the Tamiya Prince of Wales, I plan on getting that.

My only word of caution - these are very, very thin and fragile - use caution when handling. As for the tinted wood Borodino deck John sent me, I'll try and post a review of that later this weekend or early next week.

Thanks to John from Scaledecks.com for the review samples.

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:14 am 

I like the look of the photographic paper decking, however I couldn't see any prices listed for it on the site.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 am 

good review

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:48 pm 
Scale Decks
Scale Decks

largeallan wrote:
I like the look of the photographic paper decking, however I couldn't see any prices listed for it on the site.

Here's the link for the Trumpeter Z25: http://shop.scaledecks.com/1-350-Z25-1944-Zerstorer-Deck-for-Trumpeter-350-055.htm

And the Dragon Z39 http://shop.scaledecks.com/1-350-Z39-Zerstorer-Deck-for-Dragon-350-056.htm

We're working on the Z31 and Z43 kits also...

-- John D. --

Report this post